Diabetes, Epidemic & American Tragedy
Diabetes has become an epidemic and an American tragedy.
When I was growing up, type 2 diabetes was referred to as “late or adult onset”. That is no longer the case! In fact, type 2 diabetes has become common in young adults between the ages of 19-40. I’ve had patients that are 10-12 years old who are pre-diabetic and 25 year olds who are diabetic! This is sad, expensive, and very dangerous!
According to the CPC and National Institutes of Health, rates of youth both type 1 and type 2 diabetes are increasing. The younger a patient is diagnosed, the shorter the life expectancy, as well as decreasing quality of life and increasing a family finance burden.
Astronomical Costs + Discomfort: World-wide
Diabetes in the U.S. is the leading cause of kidney failure, amputations, and adult onset blindness! It is so common for pharmaceutical based doctors to tell patients they will have the disease the rest of their life and there’s nothing they can do, and that their condition will only get worse! This type of comment is given to both type 1 and type 2 patients. This bleak future is true only if pharmaceutical drugs are given as treatment. Type 1 patients will need insulin, of course, but this advice is also given to type 2 patients as well.
Wellness Natural Medicine Approach vs Conventional (More Prescriptions)
So what is the difference in the wellness model (using natural medicine) versus the conventional model of more medications?
First let’s talk about:
- Types of diabetes
- 3 common diabetes misunderstandings that I hear a lot from patients
- 5 keys to reversing or mitigating type 2 diabetes
Types of Diabetes
Type 1.5: Latent Auto-Immune Diabetes of Adults (LADA)
Meaning the reason the patient has blood sugar disorder is because the immune system is destroying the pancreas. Conventional protocol is to treat 1.5 as if it’s Type 2. This is a very bad idea because the CAUSE of diabetes is completely different. In functional medicine I ask why is the immune system misfiring and destroying the pancreas? This is very important. When the underlying sources of inflammation are identified, we can improve the patient’s life and prevent further conditions, escalating expense, and reduce suffering! Sources of inflammation associated with type 1.5 are stress physiology, “hidden” infections, food allergies or sensitivities, toxic exposure, nutrient deficiencies, genetic predisposition, and hyper intestinal permeability (AKA leaky gut syndrome).
Type 2: Insulin Resistance
The vast majority of Americans with diabetes have type 2. About 27 million Americans have type 2 and another 86 million have prediabetes ( A1C between 5.7-6.3). Insulin resistance means that when the pancreas makes the hormone insulin and secretes it into the blood, the cellular response is poor, making the glucose entry into cells poor. There are numerous causes of insulin resistance which will be covered under the “5 keys to reversing or mitigating diabetes”.
3 Common Diabetes Misunderstandings:
- Diabetes always gets worse. If a wellness model of healthcare isn’t used, just pharmaceuticals this is true! I’ve seen many patients improve their A1C, lose weight, gain energy, while reducing long term costs of “managing” diabetes.
- Diabetes is genetic. There is a genetic component to this disease but what many fail to understand is that if you control key areas of physiology with exercise, diet, and individualized advances nutritional protocols, then you can mitigate or trump genetics!
- Cardiovascular risks: As long as you take your medications, diabetes is not a big deal. Not a big deal?! You have to read the side effects, both from the medications and the disease itself:
- Kidney disease
- Weight gain, which leads to more problems
- Eye disease
- Peripheral Vascular Disease
5 Keys to reversing or mitigating diabetes
- Control Insulin Surges
- Re-Sensitive Insulin Receptors
- Stabilization and Repair of Adrenal Gland Function
- Identification and Removal of Food Sensitivities
- Restoration of Gut Barrier Integrity
To your health,
Dr. Torrey Gorla